PREP: 45 MINS
COOK: 40 MINS
TOTAL: 1 HOUR 40 MINS
SERVES: 5 - 6 PEOPLE
- 2 cups melted butter, or as needed (for phyllo)
- 1 package phyllo dough, thawed to room temperature
- ½ cup crushed pistachios for top
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or a combination of (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
- 2 table spoons sugar.
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉
- mix the chopped walnuts with the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Grease your pan (9”x13”) and add one sheet of dough, brush generously with melted butter. Repeat this until you have used half your dough.
- Spread the nut mixture evenly over the dough.
- Again, place one sheet of dough and coat generously with butter. Repeat until you use the rest of the dough.
- Cover the topmost layer of the baklava generously with the remaining butter.
- Cut the Baklava in the pan before baking. Make diagonal lines and cut in a pattern to make diamonds.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until golden brown
- While the baklava is baking, prepare the syrup by combining the sugar and water in a pot and heat it over medium for about 10 minutes or until it begins to boil.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, then return it to heat until it starts to boil again. Then set it aside.
- Once both the Baklava and the syrup are cooled, pour the syrup over the Baklava coating it completely.
- Sprinkle the crushed pistachios on top of each individual Baklava diamond to garnish. Enjoy!
Image Credits: Cleobuttera