Cozy up with this quick, easy, & tasty one pot spicy coconut red lentil dahl that is made with red lentils, coconut milk, tomatoes, garlic, onion and the perfect blend of Indian spices. It makes a most delicious gluten-free, vegan dish served alongside some basmati rice or naan bread!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 white or yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup red lentils dry
- 3 cups water 2 cups for Instant Pot
- 1 tbs shredded coconut
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 400 mL can full fat coconut milk
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- to taste sea salt
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot or deep skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until onions are clear and beginning to brown on edges.
- Turn heat to high and add lentils and water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in shredded coconut, coconut sugar, spices, coconut milk and tomatoes.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until desired consistency is achieved.
- Salt to taste.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Recipe Credit: Moon and spoon and yum